Take to the mat and see what unfolds…
In Person-Classes (taught in our beautiful Roundhouse in Northern Portugal, close to Fornos de Algodres):
Weekly mixed ability in-person yoga class, every Saturday 9:30-11am. The price is €10 with a discounted option of €7.50 for those on lower incomes.
At the Roundhouse, Quinta da Pomba.
Weekly mixed ability in-person yoga class, every Thursday 10-11:30am. The price is €10 with a discounted option of €7.50 for those on lower incomes.
At the Roundhouse, Quinta da Pomba.
Online Classes (offered via Zoom platform):
Zoom mixed ability yoga classes offered online every Monday, 7-8:15pm. The price is £7 per person.
This class is open to all – plenty of options are always offered, in order to cater to all levels, from beginners to seasoned practitioners. Most classes focus on a particular theme, for example twists, back-bending, opening the side body, intelligent use of core muscles etc. And in each class we focus on conscious, full breathing and we always finish with a relaxation in corpse pose.
Life-long Access to Previous Class Recordings
I have started making my Monday classes available as recordings after the live class, so you can practise them any time you like, as often as you like. Each class has a unique reference number and title and costs £5 to purchase. To purchase a class please first pay the appropriate amount into my account then get in touch with me by email (email@example.com) with the title and/or number of the class(es) you wish to receive, and I will send you the link to the recording.
Available classes (keep checking as I’ll add more as I record them):
1. Playing with Pigeon – A deeply releasing class with an outer hip-opening focus that explores the ‘pigeon’ shape in different, creative ways. Expect a creative flow with lots of stretching.
2. Breathing The Body Open – We focus on using the breath to open the body from within. Pranayama and stretches that open the intercostal muscles and the whole of the torso (front, sides and back) are both used to help you breathe more freely than perhaps you’ve ever breathed before by the end of the class!
3. Hamstring Focus – In this class we put our focus on the back of the legs and we use postures and sequences to both lengthen and strengthen the muscles here, particularly the hamstrings on the back of the thigh. You should feel 10cm taller after this class! Our relationship with our hamstrings is sometimes linked to our relationship to the past. What are we still holding onto that we are ready to release? This class might show you…
4. Psoas Focus – In this class we hone in on one of the deepest postural muscles in the body, the psoas muscle. Sometimes called ‘the muscle of the soul’, the psoas is an essential part of our core stability and our ability to move around, and is also engaged in our ‘fight or flight’ stress response. Hence it is chronically tight in most people, leading to all kinds of other body issues. Here we use the wise approach of both strengthening and releasing this important, endlessly fascinating muscle. You might find yourself walking taller and more easefully afterwards.
5. Drawing Towards the Centre-line – This class is all about drawing our energy inwards and towards the centre-line of the body for maximum efficiency. This helps us feel strong and light in postures. We focus especially on adducting the legs and observe how this helps us connect to our deepest core muscles and opens up the area around the sacrum.
6. Opening The Space Behind The Heart – In this class we focus specifically on opening and strengthening the thoracic spine, which is notoriously stuck and weak in most people due to excess sitting and ‘slumping’. Finding full mobility in this part of the spine enables us to breathe more fully and find more ease in backbends. A deceptively powerful class!
7. Thighs and Shoulders – This class focuses on strengthening and lengthening the front of the thighs (quadriceps), moving towards a series of peak, bound (i.e. hands hold feet) back-bending postures that require open thighs and shoulders. Plenty of different options are given and you are encouraged to enjoy the journey of opening rather than getting hung up on achieving the end postures! A wonderfully opening class that will move stagnant energy in the legs for sure!
8. Spinal Traction and Headstand – This class focuses on postures that extend and ‘traction’ the spine – moving the crown in one direction and the tailbone in another creates space between the vertebrae, which helps us stand taller and move with grace. The peak posture of the class is sirsasana (headstand) and we prepare the body intelligently for this, with lots of preparation stages included, so all can participate.
9. Hips and Inner Thighs – This class focuses on opening the hips in all of their different directions of mobility, moving towards some peak hip-opening postures including compass pose, archer’s pose, frog and pigeon. There is also a strong emphasis on lengthening the adductor muscles on the inner thighs. A juicy, stretchy class with a good dollop of hip stabilising postures too, for balance.
10. Shoulders and Neck – In this tension-busting class we release the holding patterns of stress and tension that most of us carry in our neck and shoulders. An energising and liberating class.
11. Summer Solstice Class – Here we celebrate the life-force energy of the sun. We use a balance of yang energy (think lots of sun salutations!) and yin energy to explore the different ways the sun can nourish us – building fire, power and heat, but also warming tired bones after a long day… 🙂 Enjoy a surprisingly heart-opening class, with a less is more approach to back-bending.
12. Dark Moon Class – Here we use a gently challenging lunar flow to release what is ready to be released at this potent time of the lunar cycle, just before the new moon. Expect lots of deep openings and stretches, with a big emphasis on full exhales, to aid release.
13. Manipura Fire Flow Class – In this class we work with the element of fire, connecting us to our Manipura (solar plexus) chakra; our seat of personal power, will-power, egoic identity and self-esteem. We use core work, twists and front-body openers to gently fan the flames of our inner fire (tapas) then quench the flames right back down at the end of the class with some cooling yin postures.
14. Grounding Foot Focus Class – Here we focus on grounding by paying lots of attention to our feet and ankles, and how we come into relation with the ground beneath us. We explore the ‘root to rise’ concept in our postures and test our groundedness with a few different balances. There is also an invitation to explore half lotus postures for those who can, with preparatory modifications provided for those still working towards this.
15. Detoxifying Twists – This class uses a variety of different twisting postures to both open up the spine and stimulate the digestive system. This is a powerfully cleansing and rejuvenating class.
16. Lammas Class – This class fell on the ancient Celtic festival of Lammas, which traditionally celebrates the first summer harvest and also a return of the rising ‘yin’, inner energy after the peak of the outward active energy at the summer solstice. We use breath and targeted postures to open the chest to create more space for gratitude within our hearts, celebrating our personal harvest this year. We start and finish with some yin postures to welcome back the stillness energy of reflection and receptivity, allowing us to receive the fruits of our practice fully.
17. Lionsgate Class – This class coincided with the astrological event of the Lionsgate Portal on 08/08 and was also an incredibly hot day! So we did a ‘cooling’ practice of holding more static postures for longer, with an emphasis on connecting to our heart energy and our inner wisdom, to harness the potent energies available to us on this day, culminating in a series of backbends and headstand practice with plenty of options provided.
18. Grounding and Centering – In this playful class we explore balancing in various different asanas as a way to practise grounding and centering. A light, child-like approach is encouraged, and challenging balance sequences are interspersed with integrating grounding postures for, yes, balance! This class helps to strengthen and balance our base and sacral chakras.
19. Preparing for Wheel – This class uses intelligent sequencing to prepare the body for urdhva dhanurasana, the ‘wheel’ posture, a strong backbend that requires a great amount of strength and flexibility. The class blends both strengthening and lengthening postures for the upper and lower body to ensure a balanced approach to preparing for this posture, and modifications are provided for those not yet ready to do the full posture. Remember, it’s about the journey not the destination, and your body will love this journey!
20. Releasing Flow – This class draws inspiration from the flowing element of water. We use stretchy postures and flowing sequences to help us release what is stuck within us and preventing us from flowing with ease, and we explore our relationship with our own powers of intuition. We balance the flow with stabilising postures to return to our grounding centre and ‘containment’. Hips, heart and hamstrings all get a big release!
21. The Magic of Inversions – A headache-relieving class that explores different kinds of inversions, from gentle and supported postures like child’s pose to stronger postures such as headstand (modifications provided), as a way of both stimulating and releasing energy in the brain and third eye. A great class to release excess mental energy, reduce stress and tension and shift your perspective if you’re feeling emotionally, mentally or energetically stuck.